Sunday, September 23, 2012

What I appreciate about poetry...

I've always had a love/hate relationship with poetry. Poetry is important to many people in my family, so I want to love it. A little bit is that I'm slightly left-brained, so a bit of me is the person that says, "urg, why couldn't you have just said that?" But also, I'm very, very impatient. I don't like going and trying to figure out what a line means. It's just a ton of work. When I do find the meaning, however, I love it. As I've learned Spanish, I've learned the beauty of language. Poetry is beautiful, don't get me wrong. I think that this unit especially has made me realize that. Thanks Mr. DuBois. :)

2 comments:

  1. I understand having a love-hate relationship with poetry. Poems can often take a certain commitment to analyzing and reanalyzing the same lines over and over, and some poets have a knack for being particularly confusing. I think you're onto something with the 'poetry as a language' thing. It has a certain flow, and once you begin to get into it, reading it, understanding it, and letting yourself get pulled in it just clicks.
    ~Madison

    ReplyDelete
  2. My relationship with poetry is kind more hate then love. There are some poems that are really straight forward and cheerful. However honestly, most of the poems I've read are pretty dark and filled with confusing metaphors and similes. I mean why can't a rock just be a rock instead of dying a lonely death in the middle of nowhere. Okay...maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete